Sunday, 24 June 2012

Memories of Martha

I'm adding this post to the FAL Linky Party as it was the main thing I declared at the beginning of the quarter. I did have one other quilt I wanted to finish, but I haven't even started on that yet!!!

Just before Christmas 2010 my Aunty Martha passed away. She was a difficult woman, but special in her own way. She was also very close to one of my cousins Kathleen. My Aunty Mary, Kathleens mother passed a few months later making it an even more difficult time.

Kathleen is one of the few people in my family who is as obsessed with crafts as I am although she is a compulsive knitter. When she said how much she would love a quilt I knew it was from a genuine appreciation of them and the work that goes into them rather than just wanted something for the sake of it. A lot of my relations wouldn't ever understand how much effort goes making handmade items and I have been hurt in the past by how little care has been taken of things I have made people.

But I knew I would make Kathleen a quilt. And as I had been the one to clear out Martha's home and kept some of her sheets I knew I would use them for the backing.

Then Becky hosted a quilt-a-long with a paper pieced block she had designed and it seemed perfect for the quilt. So I started, in early 2011. And bit by bit I got there. Long after the qal finished I was still making the blocks.

Eventually I was ready to start quilting, but it took me months to start as I was constantly changing my mind of how I wanted to do it. I quilted it in four pieces and then put them together. Then for some reason I decided to hand stitch the binding down for the first time in about 3 years! So that took even longer.

Then, last night it was finally finished. I estimate that there was between 80-100 hours of work on this quilt, but it was worth it. It used 49 different fabrics and 2 different variegated Aurifil threads, one yellow based, one green. It ended up 60x64 inches. It has loads of flaws, but I won't tell if you don't go looking for them!

This quilt is one of the few that had a name from the very beginning.

Memories of Martha.




24 comments:

Amys Crafty Shenanigans said...

OMG Shevvy - your quilt is amazing!! How do you do it!!?? Your quilting is so intricate and detailed - I AM IN AWE!!! This quilt is worth every minute of 100 hours --- she will love your quilt!!

susan said...

That is an absolutely stunning quilt and I am sure is going to be a heirloom. You should be very proud of it and thank you for telling the story behind it.

Tammy said...

Wow that is one amazing quilt, and something that could only ever have been achieved as a real labour of love! Amazing!

Di said...

Amazing quilting. It will be loved I'm sure. Di x

moira said...

wow! that quilting is just beautiful. I'm sure your cousin will love it x

Christine said...

Shevvy this is totally awesome, what a fabulous quilt! A true heirloom that wil be loved and treasured by your cousin I am sure, amazing!

Samantha said...

That is one gorgeous quilt! What a labor of love! I'm sure your cousin will love and cherish it.

Helsie said...

You could only give a work of art like this to someone who will appreciate it. Absolutely wonderful. Congratulations. Your cousin is a very lucky girl.
Cheers

Leanne said...

This is just totally excellent! It was wonderful before but the quilting has taken it to another level. This is one to very proud of and your cousin is very lucky to get it, I am sure she will love it.

Marg said...

Wow Shevvy your quilting is amazing. I remember when you started making the quilt, I was supposed to join in on the QAL but as usual, failed.
I'm sure Kathleen will treasure it and she will understand how many hours you spent working on it.

Charlotte said...

wow!!! Shevvy, that is so beautiful! What a thoughtful and amazing gift. I am in awe of your quilting!!!

Wendz said...

A-m-a-z-i-n-g! Your fabric choice is so suited to the pattern and the quilting ... well ... absolutely fantastic and again the perfect choice for the design. I would cry with happyness if someone presented me with this quilt and I'm sure Kathleen will know you much of you is in this precious quilt.

Sarah said...

Goodness! the quilting alone is incredible! I'm sure it will be appreciated :-)

A Ö said...

This is an amazing quilt with an amazing story gehind it!!!

LInda Pearl said...

Your Quilt is amazing...I love what you did with something so basic as sheets. I hope your cousin loves it as much as we all do. Beautiful quilting.

tlcala4me said...

How wonderful that you are able to share your incredible talent with another that will appreciate all the thought and work that you put into it. That is an incredible work of art, Shevvy.

quiltfool said...

Good job! Love all the quilting and how it sets off the piecing! Lane

Shay said...

Oh my goodness Shevvy!!! This is truly a work of art. That quilting is INCREDIBLE!

alwaysquilting said...

What a lucky cousin, to be given such a beautiful quilt. I love seeing a quilting design work so well with the patchwork design.

Gertie Pye said...

This is lovely Shevvy. I knw exactly what you mean by some people just not realising how long it takes to make something like this, or the fact that when I sew, I think of the recipient all the way through as I'm making it. It is good to know that this beauty is going to someone who will fully appreciate the time and skill that went into making it. Well done you - it is stunning x

Michelle said...

OMG, what a beautiful quilt! The colors are fresh, and the quilting perfection.

Your aunt is going to be stunned.

What a wonderful memory of Martha.

Michelle said...

OMG, what a gorgeous quilt! The colors are fresh and your quilting just perfect.

What a wonderful memory of Martha. Kathleen will be stunned.

Rafael's Mum said...

Oh Shevvy, this is totally amazing! I just LOVE what you have accomplished. I am sure Kathleen is going to be bowled over and what a beautiful memory attached to this quilt!

Sue Bone said...

Fabulous and well done on the prize from quilter in the gap.